Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ada Lovelace Day


This year's Ada Lovelace Day (http://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/adalovelace/) was on October 16th. On this day, some celebrate women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) in honor of the world's first programmer, Ada Lovelace. After talking to a couple of senior and junior girls in the beginning of the school year, I realized some of our female students needed more information about the field of computer technology and encouragement to pursuit it as a career. I met some of these bright young women when they volunteered in our library, and the others I got to know for they visited the library on a regular basis. When the topic of their future careers came up, they said it would be cool to work for Google or Facebook. They aparently lacked knowledge about the profession and the diversity of the field of engineering and technology. Taking advantage of the time I had with them, I told them computer engineering is more than programming. The field has deep connections with other disciplines.  In addition, computer engineers of various types can have very different responsibilities and work environments.

These girls became my motivation for setting up a display in the library for Ada Lovelace Day. I created a informational display using both digital and print materials. On a Mac desktop, I looped videos about Ada Lovelace and inspiring modern female engineers and scientists:

A libGuide created by our librarian about careers in mathematics was used as an interactive display.

I created a handout on pre-engineering local summer camps for high school students based on the recommendations from our teachers and this website:

I also printed and displayed short biographies of successful young female engineers taken from

Attracting the artistically inclined girls to the display, I included a brief biographical sketch of Lovelace in the form of comic:

1 comment: